12 charged in relation to Wellington theft and burglary ring
Twelve people have been charged in relation to a theft and burglary ring in Wellington.
Operation Trump Card, which began early last year, ended in October with charged 12 people with burglary, receiving and theft, police said.
But further arrests were likely, police said.
In November last year, police seized more than 3000 stolen items.
On Thursday, police said the number of items seized, which were believed to have been stolen over the past three years, was now more than 5000, including a large number of bikes, tools, hardware and appliances.
So far, 93 of the 298 bikes, 10 of 29 e-scooters and 11 of 49 laptops have been identified and will be returned to owners or insurance companies.
"We continue to work through the seized items in order to return as many as possible to the rightful owners," said detective senior sergeant Tim Leitch.
"The process is taking time due to the sheer number of items seized and the need to clearly identify property before it can be returned."
In many of the reports made to police, little detail was provided about the stolen property at the time, police said.
"We ask the owners of stolen property, particularly if it is unique or has an identifiable feature, marking, or a known serial number to contact police and provide this additional information," Leitch said.
"A large number of distinctive bikes, tools, builders' equipment and other items are still to be identified," he said.
"Anyone that has property stolen that has not reported the theft, is encouraged to do so, and provide a description of their item."
Reports and updates regarding identifying features can be made by filling out a 105 report online quoting Operation Trump Card.
Police said they would contact individuals with the next steps once property could be matched up with their rightful owners.